Here’s a shout out of congratulations and appreciation to Bob and Stanna Musick, along with Larry and Lea Hunt, who recently celebrated their two year anniversary of sending care packages to our troops in Afghanistan. Even more impressive than the length of time they’ve been doing this is the number of boxes they’ve sent…which now exceeds 1,050!
Before going any further – grab a Kleenex, because the first 10 seconds of the video below will do it to ya…there’s nothing like reading a thank you letter from someone who is serving on behalf of us…that’s for sure.
About the Support Our Troops Program
Thanks to the ongoing support of Boulder City businesses and residents, Stanna & Co. have been able to send between 30 and 50 boxes each month (at $12.95 in postage costs)…depending on the level of donations received.
Around 35 items go into each box — ranging from jerky, peanut butter pretzels, fruit bars and socks…which they buy from dollar stores and Costco. They also try to send DVD’s that people no longer want to give the troops some entertainment when they’re off duty.
What You Can Do…In 15 Minutes
Stanna sent me an email and said that besides the purchased items they send, letters are very important for those who do not receive mail from home, so if you have a few minutes to sit down and write a letter (a forgotten art these days, I fear) – they are truly the morale life line for the men and women serving abroad. And hey, if you are a teacher, school administrator or youth organization coordinator — any chance you can make it a special project for the class or group to write letters to the troops? If so, please call Stanna at (702) 293-5039. She’ll include any letter written inside of a box.
How to Donate Funds or Items To Send
Naturally, continued donations are crucial for the project to continue…so the next time you see one of the donation jars around town, drop a donation or a letter into it if you can. There are also jars at the Chamber, Library and Senior Center. If you would like to support the project by sending a check, please send it to Stanna Musick or Support Our Troops at 601 Lake Huron Lane, Boulder City, NV 89005.
If you would like to purchase items for the boxes yourself, you can absolutely do that and drop them off at the Chamber of Commerce (next to the BrewPub). They will then be able to use the donated funds to cover the postage costs. Here is the Wish List for what goes in the boxes:
- DRINK POWDER FOR WATER BOTTLES & CANTEENS (99 CENT STORE)
- DEORDORANT – LARGE
- EYE WASH
- BODY WIPES- LARGE
- BODY WASH, EYE WASH
- BODY POWDER AND FOOT POWDER (IN SMALL PLASTIC BOTTLES IF POSSIBLE)
- BAR SOAP
- HAND WARMERS (very important) (WALMART)
- HAND SANITIZERS (SCREW TOP)
- SUN BLOCK WITH (SPF)
- FRUIT BARS, NUTS, TRAIL MIX,
- CRACKERS WITH CHEESE OR PEANUT BUTTER
- DRIED FRUIT
- COFFEE – DAIRY CREAMER PACKETS (99 CENT STORE – NO GLASS)
- CANNED FOOD, FRUIT, VEGETABLES, MEAT, HEARTY SOUPS (99 CENT STORE)
- AFTER SHAVE
- TUBE SOCKS SIZE 6 TO 12 (WAL-MART OR COSTCO)
- TOOTH PASTE, BRUSHES AND FLOSS
- RAMEN NOODLES, (NO CUP OF SOUP…TOO BULKY)
- JERKEY, PKG FROM (COSTCO)
- PRETZELS STUFFED WITH PEANUT BUTTER (COSTCO)
- RAZORS (4 IN A PKG)
- CAR-MAZ TUB LIP BALM (WALMART) 3 IN A PKG.
- HARD CANDY (NO CHOCOLATE OR GUMMY WORMS FROM MAR TO DEC)
- GUM AND BUBBLE GUM
- PLAYING CARDS , SMALL CHESS SETS, CHECKERS, BACKGAMMON
- OCCASIONAL & GREETING CARDS
- PAPER, PENS & ENVELOPES
- NAIL CLIPPERS, NAIL FILES & SEWING KITS
- AIR FRESHENERS
- SUN GLASSES (99 CENT STORE)
- CHILDREN: SMALL TOYS, JACKS, JUMP ROPES, LITTLE CARS, COLORING BOOKS, CRAYONS, HARD CANDY OR WHAT A CHILD WOULD LIKE TO PLAY WITH.
- NO SPRAY CAN OR CONTAINERS
More Photos For Ya
Just in case you don’t have the 5 minutes to watch the video above…