Fan Nancy Nolette passed along a news release from the Lake Mead National Recreation Area that we all have FREE entrance into Lake Mead National Recreation Area on Saturday, June 9th in celebration of National Get Outdoors Day.
National Get Outdoors Day, now in its fifth year, encourages Americans, especially youth, to participate in outdoor activities while enjoying the beauty of public lands such as national parks, forests, and wildlife refuges. Nationwide, hundreds of organizations and businesses will partner with Federal, state, and local agencies to provide fun and healthy events at sites throughout the country. President Barack Obama has proclaimed the month of June as Great Outdoors Month.
From the content of the news release, here are some of the activities available at Lake Mead National Recreation Area on Saturday:
- Join a beach cleanup at Callville Bay
- Meet with Park Rangers who are providing informal talks in many areas of the park from Echo Bay to Katherine Landing
- Learn about Roadrunners at an evening talk at Boulder Beach campground
- Learn about Spiders and other critters at an evening talk at Cottonwood Cove
- The Western National Parks Association Store will offer a 15% discount on all items, including books, postcards, T-shirts and other gifts. The store is located at 601 Nevada Way, Boulder City at the park’s temporary visitor center in park headquarters.
- Picnicking, camping, fishing, swimming and boating are popular activities in the recreation area.
- Commercial services at Lake Mead National Recreation Area include houseboat and speedboat rentals, lodging, lake tours, dinner cruises, and river rafting trips.