Yesterday afternoon on Sunday, November 22nd, Governor Sisolak took to the airwaves (a few days earlier than previously announced) to institute new guidelines to try to curb the spread of the Coronavirus.
Mask mandates have been made stronger and while retail and restaurants remain open, capacity is now seriously restricted and so are gathering limits. We’ll try to summarize for you the majority of the changes below.
The new measures will take effect tomorrow on Tuesday, November 24th at 12:01am and last for the next three weeks, up thru December 15th:
- Restaurants, bars, gaming operations, gyms, fitness facilities and other businesses and activities will be limited to 25 percent of applicable fire code capacity, down from 50 percent. Reservations will be required to dine in at ALL eating establishments, including even fast food venues. Seating will be limited to 4 people per table.
- Retail stores – including grocery stores – will remain at 50 percent of capacity, with strict social distancing and additional monitoring requirements.
- Private gatherings, including of course Thanksgiving meals, will be limited to no more than 10 people from no more than two separate households, and the State’s face covering requirement will be extended to private gatherings.
- Additionally, public gatherings which include churches, will be limited to no more than 50 people or 25 percent capacity, whichever is less. No large events will be approved during this time frame.
- Nevadans must wear face coverings at all times, whether indoors or outdoors, when around individuals from outside their households.
- Fitness centers will be limited at the 25% of capacity, and while working out, all people must be masked at all times, except when taking a drink of water. If the activity is too strenuous, then that is not a reason for forgoing the mask, and that person should ‘seek an alternative’ workout plan.
- Lastly, adult and youth sports tournaments — many of which are conducted on weekends — will be paused.
We weren’t able to reach many of our business owners this morning, as of publishing time, but did get Bob Comminis, Manager of Milo’s Cellar to share a few thoughts. He says, “we’re fortunate in that we have room to spread out. We’ll be reopening the wine cellar and expand seating up in the courtyard and when we use it, and work to improve the heating for outdoor seating.”
We know that as we type, all of our City officials as well as all of our retail and restaurant owners in Boulder City will be working to adapt to this new environment.
Cases of COVID-19 are certainly on the rise, and our seven-day rolling average has been on the rise for several weeks, and in fact the statistics cited on the Nevada Health Response are that 10% of ALL COVID-19 cases in Nevada since the start of the pandemic, were reported in the last seven days. Currently the test to positivity rate is at 16.5%, and as of yesterday we’ve seen 2,017 cumulative deaths in Nevada attributed to the Coronavirus.
In Boulder City, as of the most recent available report, we’re at a total case count of 297, and you can check that reporting anytime from this link HERE on the Southern Nevada Health District web site.
“From the start of this pandemic, there aren’t any decisions that don’t have negative consequences. Weighing the loss of jobs and businesses versus the loss of health and lives is painful, without a perfect solution.”, says Governor Sisolak.
“As your Governor, I am confident that I did all I could to avoid further restrictions and keep us on the path forward, but now I must act. In this defining moment, I implore Nevadans to tap into their independent spirit and consider their own personal responsibility.”
You can watch the film coverage live of the announcement from this link to Channel 8 News.