This will be the last weekend that you can visit Lake Mead National Recreation Area at the existing per vehicle rates.
It was announced a few months ago that effective June 1, 2018 that the entrance fees to 117 different National Parks would be increased to help fund additional infrastructure and maintenance.
The new rates will be $25 per private vehicle, $20 per motorcycle and $15 for bicycles and pedestrians. So, if you recreate a lot out there, then the two annual options are looking like the better deal. The Annual Lake Mead Park Pass is priced at $45, or the Annual National Parks Pass, which gets you into ALL the National Parks is $80.
There are no changes to the camping or vessel fees.
“Revenue from entrance fees has allowed us to address deferred maintenance and upgrade our campgrounds, extend our launch ramps and provide quality experiences for our visitors,” said Lizette Richardson, park superintendent.
This spring the park finished their improvements to the Boulder Beach Campground (see story here) and the park emphasizes that 80% of the fees stay in this park. The remaining 20% is used for general fund enhancements to all the National Parks.
They say that the prolonged drought has had an effect, and that $5 million in fees has been used to extend launch ramps over the past few years.
The park plans to use the fee revenue to make additional improvements to the campgrounds and boat launches, as well as repair and maintenance, capital improvements and other projects in this very large area.