At last night’s City Council meeting they appointed a replacement for Mayor Kiernan McManus’s vacant seat – Tracy Folda.
Two names were nominated: Judy Deschaine, who had run in the Primary Election but had not advanced, as well as Tracy Folda, who is one of the two founding members of the Facebook Group, the Boulder City Community Alliance (BCCA).
The vote among the existing City Council was split evenly:
- Judy Deschaine received votes from Warren Harhay and James Howard Adams
- Tracy Folda received votes from Kiernan McManus and Claudia Bridges
With a tie vote, the required procedure is to draw by a random LOT of the two names. We’re unsure of the vessel used for that, but it appears the names were put into a tea cup, and then Mayor McManus on a blind draw pulled Tracy Folda’s name – and that is that! She is now our newest Boulder City Council Member. Ms. Folda will be sworn in at the next City Council meeting, which will be held on August 13th, because the Council goes ‘dark’ for the last session in July.
We congratulate Ms. Folda and wish her the best of success in her new role!
Two personal, sidebar observations; we wish there had been a broader field of submissions for this appointment. Why that is, we cannot speculate on, but it would have been good to see a few more names, even if it might have made an ultimate consensus harder to achieve. (And still ended in a lot draw).
The other thought is on the power of social media. For good or ill, this new Facebook world is now one we all share and live in – it’s impact is undeniable. Personally, we have always believed in using ALL of our powers for good, including our own social media channels. We’ll continue in that effort to the best of our ability now, and in the future. As happens in our national politics, the metaphorical pendulum swings, it seems, often from one dominant agenda, to another. That has now happened in Boulder City. Regardless of who we each voted for, it is now time to unite and wish our City and its entire leadership team the best of success! Go and show us what you’re made of.
In other important business, the City Council also designated which members would serve on the various committees we told you about on our earlier post HERE. It’s a lot, and we’ll do this briefly, again thanking the City Communications Manager, Lisa LaPlant for her swift help this morning!
- McManus: LVCVA, RTC, Flood Control, Civilian Military Council, Las Vegas Global Economic Alliance
- Folda: BC community education advisory committee (CEAB), Audit Review Committee, Nevada League of Cities Legislative Committee and Alternate to Board
- Harhay: Workforce Connections, So. Nevada Health District Advisory Board member
- Bridges: So. NV Water Authority, POOL/PACT Board of Directors, SNRPC/Debt Mgmt Commission
- Adams: So. Nevada Health District Board, Nevada League of Cities Board of Director
And lastly, the Audit Review Committee is shared by: Harhay, and Folda.
If that list doesn’t make your head spin, I don’t know what does. We sincerely thank them for their service to the community!